Can I be a Full-time Officer alongside my studies?
No, this is a full-time, paid position. To be able to undertake the role, you can either defer your studies for a year or stand in your final year of study. The role starts at the end of the academic year.
I live at home - can I stand in the elections?
Yes! Anyone who is a Swansea University student can stand in the elections. It doesn't matter where you live!
I'm a first year - can I stand in the elections?
Yes, it doesn't matter what year you are studying in, anyone can stand in the elections!
On the nominations form, there is an option to upload a photo. Do I have to?
Please email a photo to the Elections Team and they can upload it for you - elections@swansea-union.co.uk
A Full-time Officer is also a Student Trustee. What does this mean?
SUSU is a charity, which means we must have trustees to ensure that our actions are legal and financially viable. The majority of the Union's Trustee Board is made up of students, but we also have external professionals to provide advice. The trustees sit in important meetings, oversee the business elements and make sure everything we do is in the best interest of our students.
Can sports clubs or societies endorse candidates?
No, clubs or societies can't officially support a candidate. Any sports club or society supporting an individual candidate can end up with that candidate being penalised.   However, it is strongly advised that clubs and societies promote and support the elections generally!
On the nomination form, there's an option to upload a manifesto. What does this mean and how do I write one?
A manifesto is a document that outlines why people should vote for you. You should write about why you would be good at the role and what campaigns or projects you would work on. Download our guide here.
I've nominated myself! When can I start campaigning?
There are two types of campaigning: Soft and Active.

Soft Campaigning is the preparation period. This is when you might get a campaign team together, make a Facebook page, set up Twitter accounts, make videos etc. Basically, you can tell people you are standing for your position, but you can’t tell people to vote for you or give them reasons that would encourage them to vote for you. No materials with your manifesto on, no videos online, no posters up. You can start soft campaigning when nominations close at 3pm, 22nd February.

Active Campaigning is going out and getting people to vote for you. Materials are allowed to go online, posters and banners are allowed to go on display, lecture shout outs are allowed! You can start actively campaigning from 6pm, 8th March.
Where can I campaign?
You can only campaign within the University campuses - this includes the entire of the main campus and other University buildings. You may also campaign within student nightclubs (at the discretion of their managers). You can't campaign in the library or Students' Union buildings or around computer labs.
Will the SU provide the candidates with any funding for campaigning?
The Students' Union will refund £75 allocated for Full-time Officer campaigning materials and £30 for Part-time Officer campaigning materials. You must provide receipts to show what you have spent by the end of the voting period to be able to claim back.
Can I stand to be a Full-time Officer if I am an International student?
International students can be Full-time Officers, but there are immigration implications that you should be aware of.

If you receive financial sponsorship, discuss your plans with your sponsor before standing for election in case there are restrictions.

If you stand as a Full-time Officer, this is permitted under the immigration rules, but you will need to extend your student visa at some point. It is important that you discuss this with an advisor from the International Office before you start the role!

This guidance is for student or Tier 4 visa holders. If you are here on a different type of visa, you should discuss your options with an advisor from the International @ Campus Life.

(This information is for general guidance and does not constitute immigration advice. If you require more details about your rights or what action to take, please contact Campus Life via international.campuslife@swansea.ac.uk)
How does voting work?
At the Students' Union, we use alternative or transferable voting. Watch this video from Wolverhampton Students' Union explaining Transferable Voting!
What is RON and NFP?
RON Stands for Re-Open Nominations and all elections in the SU have this option for voters. If you do not like any of the candidates in the election you can choose to vote RON. If RON wins an election, the role would not be filled or a by-election would be held at another time. Selecting No Further Preferences (N.F.P) is an expression of indifference towards all remaining options.
What if I have more questions?
Please email them to the Election Team - elections@swansea-union.co.uk