Societies Manual

Click to expand sections

Room Booking

Booking a room

To book a room on campus, you need to fill in this form. You must also fill in a risk assessment. Once you have done both of these, your request will be processed and you will receive a room booking confirmation from the Societies’ Team.

If you have any questions about the room booking process, email

Which rooms can I book?

To see which rooms you can book, their capacities and their opening times, check out this spreadsheet.

Where do I sign in and out of rooms?

  • If you have booked a Union room (e.g. Mosaig), you need to sign in and out with the Porter.
  • If you have booked JC’s or Diva’s, you need to sign in and out with the staff behind the bar at JC’s.
  • If you have booked any other room on Singleton Campus, you need to sign in and out with Fulton House Security Office.
  • If you have booked a room on Bay Campus, you need to sign in and out at the SU Reception.

How do I fill in a risk assessment?

The risk assessment form can be found as part of the room booking form, here. Follow the instructions on the form and if you have any questions, email

How do I hold a bake sale?

Bake sales take place at the front of Fulton House and in different areas at Bay Campus, but can be booked in the same way any other room is booked. The items you sell must be homemade, but you should avoid using ingredients that require refrigeration, such as fresh cream. You should also not use raw eggs in your baking unless they will be thoroughly cooked. No hot food or drinks are allowed to be sold.


How do I order in tech equipment?

Specify what you require in the room booking form. it will now be one of the additional tabs at the bottom of the form. Make sure you include absolutely everything you think you need, and send it at least two weeks in advance of your event. The best thing to do would probably be to go and speak to someone from Ents if you are unsure as to what you should request on the form.

How do I apply for storage?

The storage application form can be found here. This application will be submitted to the Societies’ Executive Committee, who meet fortnightly. Keep an eye out in the Committee Facebook Group for updates on when meetings are being held.

How do I get items printed?

The printing request form can be found here. Email a copy of whatever it is you want printed to Your Society will be charged for the cost of printing directly. Make sure that if it should have Welsh on it, that it has been translated correctly!

How do I order merchandise?

The merchandise ordering form can be found here. Email a copy of any designs you want included on the merchandise to Make sure anything official you are having printed (i.e. Committee positions or Society logos) is written in Welsh as well.

Once you have emailed across a request, you will need to regularly check your Society email account for a quote and proofs so you can approve them and the merchandise can be ordered in good time.

How do I get something translated?

Include all the text you want translated in an email to Do not send them a picture of a poster, for example.

How do I get an article in The Waterfront?

There is a Society Editor for The Waterfront. Their email address is Alternatively, you can email the Editor directly at

How do I start a new Society?

Information on how to start a new Society can be found here.

To find out more about what it is like to be on a committee and who is part of the Societies’ Department, check out the Society Handbook.

Annual General Meetings (AGMs) and Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs)

What is an AGM?

An AGM is when your Society committee and its members gather together and discuss what the society has achieved over the past year (including a President and Treasurer’s report), any changes that are to be made for the new year (such as changes to your Society’s constitution), and elect in a new committee.

This meeting should be minuted (i.e. notes taken) so that the newly elected committee can successfully apply for HEAR accreditation at the end of the following year.

AGMs should be held before the Easter break. This does not mean the new committee starts straight away. The current committee stay in their positions until the end of June.

If you are a NEW Society, then the purpose of your AGM is to elect in a new Committee to get your Society up and running! The meeting should still be minuted, but the reports are not necessary, and they can be held throughout the year, depending on when your new society gets approved.

How do I hold an AGM?

You’re going to want to start off by booking a room. Preferably, all AGMs should happen within the working week, and during a reasonable time of the day. In other words, try not to hold it at 11pm on a Sunday evening!

An AGM requires at least double the number of people to attend as there are positions available. In other words, if you have six committee positions up for election, you need 12 people voting at your AGM. 

If you are holding your election online, then the same rule applies to how many students are required to vote in order to make it a valid election.

You must always make sure that you give your members ten days' notice, and let the Societies Department know when you are having an AGM (or EGM) so that a member of the Societies’ Executive Committee can attend. They bring along the relevant forms and adjudicate. 

How you go about the actual election process is up to you, as long as you adhere to these simple rules:

  1. Make sure everyone voting is a paid standard member of your society (where applicable). Associate members are not allowed to vote, though they are welcome to attend the AGM (or EGM).
  2. Ensure everyone is aware they can vote to Re-Open Nominations (or RON) if they do not think any of the candidates for the position are suitable.
  3. Get the Societies’ Executive Committee member in attendance to count the votes, to ensure impartiality.

An AGM checklist can be found here, which will hopefully make things easier for you.

It is suggested in the Societies' Constitution that in the case of a tie, the President should have the casting vote as the democratic lead for the Society.

A Note on Society Memberships

There are two kinds of memberships that members of a society can hold, standard or associate. Standard membership is for Swansea University students, associate membership is for non-students, or students from other universities.

Standard Membership gives a member voting rights, as well as allows them to run for a committee position.

Associate Membership gives a member the right to participate in meetings, but they cannot vote, and also cannot hold a position on committee. 

Required Committee positions and their roles

There are 3 required positions for any Society Committee - President, Treasurer and Secretary. A Society can choose to add more positions if they wish, though.

It is worth noting that the Committee is not hierarchical - all positions are treated equally.  

The President is the democratic lead for the Society. It is their responsibility to chair meetings, lead on decision-making and disiplinary action, and generally look after the society and its members. They also hold a Finance Card, alongside the Treasurer. At the end of the year, they must give a report at the AGM detailing the society's progress over their term in office.

The Treasurer is mostly responsible for the Society's money. This includes holding a Finance Card, managing any cash or payments, and keeping an eye on the overall balance of the Society. At the end of the year, they must give a report at the AGM detailing the society's ingoing and outgoing money, and the reasons behind it. 

The Secretary is generally in charge of the paperwork side of the Society, from booking rooms to writing minutes at meetings. They are also often in charge of keeping an eye on the inbox for the society and responding to emails they receive, or sending out regular updates to their members.   

Overall, however, it is up to the Committee as a whole to decide which roles take on which responsibilities, and quite often these are shared between all members anyway.

What is an EGM and when should I hold one?

An Extraordinary General Meeting is one in which an election takes place that does not involve the whole committee. For example, if after Freshers’ Fayre you would like to elect in a Freshers Rep, you can hold an EGM. Or if a committee member drops out and you need or want to replace them (depending on which position it is), you hold an EGM. It means all current committee positions stay the same, but an election is held for the new or existing position which is to be filled.

The quorum for an EGM is 6 people.

EGMs can be held at any point during the year (giving your members at least 5 days' notice), as long as you let the Societies Department know about it.


How do I access my Society account?

The Students’ Union provides each Society with their own private finance account which can only be accessed by the President and Treasurer of the Society. They must have a Finance Card signed by the Societies & Services Officer or the Societies & Activities Coordinator in order to access the account.

The Finance Reception is next to the SU Reception in Faraday and on Bay Campus in the Union Building. It will be open to Societies from 10:00-16:00.

If you just wish to have a look to see how much money you have in the account, simply email and they can send you a statement.

You can also deal with BACS payments via email. 

How can I find out how much money I have in my Society account?

If you email, they can provide you with a statement showing all the incoming and outgoing money from your Society account. Also feel free to email them with any questions you have about your account. 

How do I withdraw cash from the Society account?

The procedure for cash withdrawals is as follows:

  • A Petty Cash Form must be completed and accompanied by an invoice or receipts.
  • The form must be authorised by either the President or Treasurer of the Society and one of the following:
    If funds are available and the amount required is under £200 - Member of Finance staff
    If funds are available and the amount required is over £200 - Finance Administration or Finance & Commercial Manager or CEO or Trustee (e.g. the FTOs)
    - Funds are not available - 
    Finance & Commercial Manager or CEO or Trustee

How do I withdraw a float?

There may be instances where you need a cash float (a till) to give change to members, for example for a hoodie or ticket sale.

You must receive authorisation from the Societies & Services Officer before taking the float and the value of it shall be determined on an individual basis.

The exact amount taken must be returned to your society account as soon as possible.

How do I pay for something from the Society account?

A BACS payment can be made on behalf of a Society by the Finance Department to pay for invoices. Payments to a Society to reimburse them for expenses incurred should be claimed by cash wherever possible. A bank transfer may be made when these expenses are over £200 and the request is accompanied by receipts or an invoice.

The procedure for paying via BACS is as follows:

  • An authorisation form must be completed and accompanied by an invoice or receipts.
  • The form must be authorised by either the President or the Treasurer.
  • Payments must then authorised by at least two of the following: The Finance Administrator, The Finance and Commercial Manager, Union Manager or a Trustee (e.g. one of the FTOs).

Please note BACS payments can take up to two weeks to process.

This can be handled online, without the need to come into the Finance Office - just email

How do I put money into the Society account?

How do I pay a Society using online banking?

Please use the following details to make payment to a Society:

Bank: Lloyds TSB Bank Plc.
Account Name: Swansea University Students Union
Sort Code: 30-98-85
Account Number: 00891532

Please use the Society's name as a payment reference. This will help us in allocating the payment to the correct Society.

How do I deposit cash into the Society account?

All you need to do is bring the cash to the Finance Office and fill in a simple form! It’s that easy!

How do I apply for funding?

The funding application process is outlined in full here. If you have any questions regarding the process, email one of the Societies’ Executive Committee. Their emails can be found in the guide which is on the funding application process page, as well as in the useful contacts section below.

How do I fundraise for my society/charity?

If your Society wants to raise money for an event you have planned or a charity you want to support, take a look through this fundraising pack. It gives you some ideas on how to fundraise, as well as tips on how to make your fundraiser a success.

Event Planning

How do I organise an event?

If you’re having trouble getting ideas for an event, or trying to make your ideas a reality, come in and talk to someone about it. Start off by coming in to see the Societies & Activities Coordinator, who can help you get in contact with the Events and Innovations Manager or anyone else relevant to your event.

How do I book a coach?

The coach booking form can be found here. Once you have filled in the form, you will be emailed with a quote. If you approve this quote, you will need to take a copy of the invoice to the Finance Office and ask for a BACS payment to be made on your society’s behalf to the coach company.

How do I hire the SU minibus?

The minibus can be hired through the Societies and Activities Coordinator. Email to get more details. It must be booked at least 14 days prior to the date of hire.

What are the driver requirements?

  • The driver must hold a BRITISH driving licence
  • The driver must be at least 21 years old
  • The driver must have held their licence for at least 3 years
  • The driver must take a short test given by one of the Union Porters.

How much does it cost to hire the minibus?

The minibus is not free. If you speak to the Societies & Services Officer, you may be able to get the cost of your first day’s hire for free. The costs otherwise are as follows:

  • £50 per calendar day for hiring the bus (From the day we have the bus delivered to campus, so if you’re using it on a Saturday, you have to pay this fee for the Friday as well!)
  • £40 per calendar day for insurance. (Only applies to days you are actually using the bus)
  • Fuel Money - any fuel a member puts in the bus must be reimbursed to them, so make sure you hang on to fuel receipts!

How do I borrow equipment from the Department?

There is a variety of equipment you can borrow for free, including:

  • Camera
  • GoPro
  • Tripod
  • Speaker
  • Charity buckets
  • Charity pots
  • Money tins
  • Gazebo
  • Table
  • HDMI cable
  • AUX cable
  • Projector

All you need to do is come into the Societies Office and speak to the Societies & Activities Coordinator, who can sign the equipment out for you. 


How do I apply for HEAR accreditation?

To apply for HEAR, you need to create a portfolio which contains information about what your society has achieved throughout the year. If you have any questions about HEAR, have a chat with the Societies & Services Officer or the Societies & Activities Coordinator. They can also give you a template to help you with your portfolio.

When is the deadline?

HEAR portfolios must be submitted before Easter. The Exact date will be published annually.


How do I update our Society page on the SU website?

There is a handy guide to help you with updating your Society page, which can be found here. If you have any issues with the website, contact the Societies & Activities Coordinator. 

How do I hold online elections?

If you would like to hold your Society AGM/EGM elections online, you need to fill in this form and send it to the Societies & Activities Coordinator.

Who's Who

Who do I speak to about an issue with a committee or society member?

A summary of how complaints are handled within Societies can be found here. The first port of call is always the Societies & Services Officer.

If the Societies & Services Officer cannot be found, you can also talk to the Societies & Activities Coordinator. Contact details for both can be found in the “Useful Contacts” section.

Who do I speak to about getting a Finance Card?

You can get Finance Cards from the Societies & Services Officer or the Societies & Activities Coordinator in order to access your Society account.

Who do I speak to about getting sponsorship for my Society?

You will need to talk to the Societies & Services Officer first, who may direct you on to other members of Union staff.

Who do I speak to about democracy, representation or structures within the SU?

The Societies & Services Officer is the person you need to see if you have any questions about democracy, representation or Students’ Union structures. Or, conversely, you could contact the Union Clerk. Contact details can be found in the “Useful Contacts” section.

Who do I speak to about raising an issue or idea at a Society Forum?

You will need to contact your Executive Committee Representative to get a point raised at a Society Forum. Their emails can be found in the “Useful Contacts” section.

Who do I speak to about the SU website?

All queries about the SU website should be directed at the Societies & Activities Coordinator. Contact details can be found in the “Useful Contacts” section.

Who do I speak to about getting access to my Society email address?

The Societies & Activities Coordinator can reset your email password. Contact details can be found in the “Useful Contacts” section.

Who do I speak to about getting help with an event I have planned?

If you are planning an event for your Society, it would be a good idea to have a chat with someone in the Societies Office - the door is always open during the day! Or you can just email

Who do I speak to about getting help with my funding application?

All applications need to be seen by a member of the Executive Committee before being handed into the Societies Office or sent to the Societies & Activities Coordinator. The Executive Committee Reps will be able to help you fill in the forms and make sure you are given the best possible chance of being allocated the funding you are requesting. Their emails can be found in the “Useful Contacts” section.

Who do I speak to about helping with putting together a collaborative event?

The Executive Committee Reps can help you get in touch with other Societies and put on events. There are two Open Place Reps for if you want to have an event which is not restricted to your own Society category as well! All their emails can be found in the “Useful Contacts” section.

Who do I speak to about an issue within my society category?

If you have an issue within your category, try asking your Executive Committee Rep for help with it before going to the Societies & Services Officer or Societies & Activities Coordinator. All their contact details can be found in the “Useful Contacts” section.

Who do I speak to about catering for my event?

A good starting point for this would be the Societies & Activities Coordinator. Contact details can be found in the “Useful Contacts” section, or you can go to the Societies Office. There are several options to take into consideration, depending on the type of event and catering you require.

Useful Contacts

Useful Contacts:

Societies & Services Officer
01792 295469

Societies & Activities Coordinator
01792 295485

Societies Admin Assistants

Union Clerk

Societies Executive Committee

Academic & Employabilty Rep

Cultural & International Rep 

Faith Rep

Hobbies & Interests Rep

Performing Arts Rep

Politics, Campaigns & Liberations Rep


Open Place Rep

Full-Time Officers
Information on this will be updated shortly.

Part-Time Officers
Information on this will be updated shortly.

Subject and College Reps
Information on this will be updated shortly.



Website Coordinator

JC’s and Diva’s Manager

Welsh Translators

Swanea Student Media
Student Media Coordinator
The Waterfront
Deputy Editor
Societies Editor

Contact details for all Waterfront Editors can be found here.

Head of Station
Deputy Head of Station

Head of Station
Deputy Head of Station