If I can’t afford my rent payments can I be evicted from my Private rented accommodation?


While you are living in your rental property under contract you are responsible for all rental payments over this time. If you are struggling financially it is important that you are upfront and honest with your accommodation provider if you know rent payments will be later or that you can not pay them at all. Even if you can not pay the full rent it would be encouraged that you pay as much as possible. With any financial issues it is important you speak to the Universities finance team @campuslife and the hardship fund to see if you can get help. If you are not able to do any of these things your landlord may request your guarantor pays the rent that is owed. It is important you are open to your guarantor about your situation and those you are living with. During a fixed term contract you can be given an eviction notice but it can not end in the period your contract agrees you are living there for.  

If this fixed term contract which is usually 6 or 12 months ends you will move to a periodic contract that roles monthly and your accommodation provider would need to give you an eviction notice that would give you a minimum of 2 months notice on. Even after this point you are legally allowed to remain in the property.  

For further advice come in and speak to us or look on Shelter Cymru’s website. Eviction - Shelter Cymru