So, you've booked your place and hired your gown. Even if you think you've got everything covered, it's worth taking a look at our Graduation Checklist for the Class of 2023!
Before the ceremony
If you or your guests require assistance or have disabilities or mobility issues, please get in touch with the Graduation Team before the congregation.
On the day
Arrive 90 minutes before your congregation - it sounds early but there will be a lot to get sorted before the ceremony!
When you arrive:
- Register for your congregation
- Collect your registration card
- Collect your robes
- You can have your official photos taken at the Waterfront Museum before or after your congregation
Make your way to the Arena's auditorium and take your seat 15 minutes before the start of the congregation - the doors will be open 30 minutes before it starts
When taking your seat:
- Leave all personal belongings with your guests before taking your seats in the hall
- You will only need your registration card
- Sit in your allocated seat (shown on your registration card)
The whole event will be clearly signposted so it will be easy to navigate. There will also be ushers on hand to help where needed!
During the congregation:
- A marshall let you know when you can leave your seat, and they will direct you to the stage door
- When your name is called, pass your registration card to the presenter before crossing the stage
- While crossing the stage you will be expected to doff your cap - nod and touch the corner of the mortarboard - to the Chancellor and Pro-Chancellor
- Continue to the centre of the stage and down the steps
- Return to your seat
After the congregation:
- If you didn't get your official photos taken before the congregation, you can head to the Waterfront Museum for them
- You must return your academic robes by 7.30 pm
- Guests can enter the auditorium 30 minutes before the ceremony begins
- All guests must be seated 15 minutes before the start of the ceremony
- The duration of the congregation is approximately 1 hour 15 minutes - keep this in mind as it may not be suitable for babies and young children
- After the congregation, guests will be required to leave the auditorium so staff can prepare for the next ceremony
Unable to attend
If you are no longer able to attend, you must contact the Graduation Team as soon as possible.
Please click here for a more in-depth guide from the university.