My Landlord / Letting Agent has not returned my deposit


To start with all properties must be registered on Rent Smart Wales and whoever took your deposit and rental payments must always be licensed. Public Register ( Some properties need a HMO license and the register for this can be found here HMO public register - Swansea  

Usually when you move into a private rented property you will be given a check in inventory to check over and sign that you agree with pictures showing the condition of the whole house. You should then be given another inventory at the end of your tenancy once you have moved out. This is so that you can compare the inventories, all properties should be left in the same state that they were received in, you do not need to leave it in a better condition, but if the condition is considerably worse ignoring general wear and tear you may be requested to have part or all your deposit deducted to pay for cleaning or repair costs. 

If you disagree with this you can let the agency or landlord know to see if they will adjust the amount they are requesting. If they do not change the amount you can let the deposit protection scheme know and they will look into the case to decide if any of the deposit should be held back and given to your accommodation provider. There are 3 types of deposit scheme.  

Tenancy Deposit Scheme 


Deposit Protection Service 

Please do contact us at the advice centre if you do not believe your property is registered and if you don’t think your deposit has been protected.