The Environmental Protection (Single-use Plastic Products) (Wales) Act 2023 is a new law which will make it a criminal offence to supply or offer to supply (including for free) certain single-use plastic products to consumers in Wales
To make Wales a more eco-friendly and sustainable place, the Welsh Government are introducing measures to reduce the use of single-use plastic.
The aim is not only to reduce our reliance on these plastics but also to change habits and make products and services more sustainable.
What can you expect?
Phase 1 of the Act is to ban the use of single-use plastic products on 30th October, which includes:
- Single-use plastic plates including paper plates with a laminated plastic surface
- Single-use plastic cutlery including forks, spoons, knives
- Single-use plastic drink stirrers
- Cups made of expanded or foamed extruded polystyrene
- Takeaway food containers made of expanded or foamed extruded polystyrene
- Single-use plastic balloon sticks
- Single-use plastic-stemmed cotton buds
- Single-use plastic drinking straws note that there are exemptions so people who need them to eat and drink safely and independently can continue to have them
This is a fantastic opportunity for us in Wales to think differently about how we go about our daily lives. We can choose to reuse and help save the environment!
For more of what your SU is doing to aid sustainability - including winning Excellent Standard AGAIN in the Student Organising for Sustainability - click here!